Wednesday, 16 August 2017

Leamington Spa (LMS)

Leamington Spa serves the Warwickshire town of Royal Leamington Spa, it is a stop on the Chiltern Main Line to London Marylebone and is also a busy interchange station.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Chiltern Main Line)
Station code: LMS
Opened: 1852
Platforms: 4
The station was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1852 on its Birmingham-Oxford line. It wasn't the town's first station, the London & North Western Railway opened a station in 1844 though this was on the outskirts of the town. The LNWR built a new station right next to the GWR in the mid-1850s. It was not until 1908 that both railway companies used the same station.

The current station building dates from a rebuilding in the late 1930s and is in the Art Deco style. The platforms are mostly covered by fine original canopies. Leamington Spa has 2 through platforms and 2 West facing bays for services to Birmingham Moor Street and Stratford-upon-Avon. There are two avoiding lines which go through the station for freight services and non-stopping passenger services.


Leamington Spa is a stop on the Chiltern Main Line as well as the terminus of services to Stratford-upon-Avon, local services from Birmingham and for services which come from Coventry via the ex LNWR line which joins the main line just ahead of the station. The station is used for stabling stock at night on the bay platforms.
Chiltern 168 004 on a Birmingham service

Two Cross Country services stop

Colas 70 801 leads a freight through the station

A Chiltern 165 at one of the bay platforms

General view of the station
Coach stored on a siding next to one of the bays