Monday, 2 October 2017

Stratford-upon-Avon (SAV)

Stratford-upon-Avon was once a stop on the Birmingham Snow Hill to Cheltenham line but since 1976 has been a terminus of both the North Warwickshire Line (known these days as the Shakespeare Line) and the Leamington-Stratford Line.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Shakespeare Line &
Leamington - Stratford Line)
Station code: SAV
Opened: 1865
Platforms: 3
The station was an amalgamation of two earlier adjacent stations opened on lines by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway from Honeybourne and the Stratford Railway from Hatton. A combined station was opened in 1863 [1]. The current station opened in 1865 North of the original amalgamated station [2] and later became part of the Great Western Railway. The main building and footbridge of the station was completed in 1891, both remain in good condition.

The main line from Birmingham to Cheltenham was opened in 1908 and Stratford-upon-Avon was expanded, a third platform added. All three platforms remain open though platform 3 is only used occasionally these days. A track cross over has been retained South of platforms 1 and 2 for use by locomotives (often steam) on excursions to run around the train.

Passenger services South of Stratford which began in 1911 ended in 1968 though the line remained open for freight until 1976. The station was improved in 2015 with a second footbridge with lifts added. Other improvements to the station are planned.
Chiltern 165 008 underneath the original footbridge

Steps up the new footbridge 
Station entrance 
Platform view, both bridges can be seen

Both London Midland and Chiltern Railways serve the station

[1] Colin G. Maggs, The Branch Lines of Warwickshire (Amberley, 2011) p. 122
[2] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Stratford-upon-Avon to Birmingham (Moor Street) (Middleton Press, 2006) p. IX