High Wycombe (HWY)

High Wycombe is the first major stop on the Chiltern Main Line out of London Marylebone.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Chiltern Main Line)
Station code: HWY
Opened: 1854
Platforms: 3
The station was opened as the terminus of a Great Western Railway broad gauge line in 1854, the station being designed by Brunel. This remained High Wycombe's station until 1864 when a new through station was opened. The original station building became a goods shed and has now been listed and preserved.

The current station layout dates from a rebuilding by the Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway in 1906. The station has two staggered platforms, it once had four through lines but the central lines have now been lifted. There is a bay platform for services terminating from London Marylebone and the parliamentary Chiltern Railway service from London Paddington. Originally access between the platforms was via a subway but this was replaced by a footbridge in 2015.

High Wycombe was also once the terminus (though later the line was extended to Aylesbury) of the Wycombe Railway from Maidenhead, though this line was closed in 1970.
Chiltern 165 019 on a Banbury bound service

Original station building / former goods shed

Car park on the left, then the bay platform

Vintage sign on the platform

Station frontage

Chiltern 165 032 arrives with a London bound service