Woburn Sands (WOB)

Woburn Sands serves a village in Buckinghamshire near to Milton Keynes on the Bletchley to Bedford Marston Vale Line.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Marston Vale Line)
Station code: WOB
Opened: 1846
Platforms: 2
The station was opened by the Bedford Railway in 1846 as Woburn, the name changing to Woburn Sands in 1860. The original station building, a Grade II listed Gothic Revival cottage, survives but is now a coffee shop.

The station had a goods yard with wagon turntables and a coal yard and siding serving a gas works. As with many stations of its size Woburn Sands was run down in the 1960s. The goods yard was closed and the station became an unmanned halt in 1967. With a level crossing at one end of the station Woburn Sands did retain a signalbox until 2004.


Access between the platforms is via the level crossing / road. The station is a basic halt with a couple of shelters and public information screens.
WMR 150 107 departs heading for Bedford

View down the platform, shelter on the left

Sign made by local school children

WMR 153 334 about to go through the level crossing
Looking towards Bletchley

WMR 153 334 on a Bletchley service