Stroud (STD)

Stroud serves the market town of the same name in Gloucestershire. It is on the Swindon-Cheltenham Line.

Type: National Rail
(Swindon-Cheltenham Line)
Station code: STD
Opened: 1845
Platforms: 2
The station was opened in 1845 by the Cheltenham & Great Western Union Railway. The station was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and later became part of the Great Western Railway. The station was to GWR's broad gauge until being converted to standard gauge in 1872.

As Stroud had another station, Stroud Wallbridge, opened by the Midland Railway the GWR station was known as Stroud Great Western and later Stroud Central. After the closure of the other station in the late 1940s the name simply became Stroud.

Stroud retains it's original station buildings with a footbridge between the two platforms and a ticket office.
Station frontage, rather less imposing than some other Brunel designs

Both platforms have canopies 
Looking down the line to Swindon, former bay siding on the left

Station building on the Cheltenham platform

The station is managed by the GWR's modern namesake

GWR 43 154 arrives with a Gloucester bound HST