The oldest parts of the current station, including the ticket office, date from when it was owned by the London & North Western Railway (who took over the Liverpool & Manchester Railway in 1846). In the 1970s Huyton was cut back with two of the platforms taken out of use.
However both have been bought back into use in recent years as part of a station modernisation and the electrification of the Liverpool to Manchester route.
|Northern 319 371 pauses at Huyton|
|A Rail Head Treatment Train passes through|
|Main station building on the right|
|Northern 319 371 heads off bound for Liverpool Lime Street|