The station was opened by the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway (later GWR) in 1845 as Stonehouse (Burdett Road) to distinguish it from a slightly earlier station called Stonehouse, later known Stonehouse (Bristol Road). The other station closed in the mid-1960s. Stonehouse's original station buildings survived until the 1970s.
Stonehouse's two platforms are short and can only comfortably handle two-car trains. Longer trains such as HSTs also stop there with selective door unlocking. Work is currently ongoing for extensions to both platforms. When the work is complete the platforms will be extended from 50m to about 160m. There is a ticket office but it is currently a portacabin.
|GWR 43 154 at the tail of as Swindon bound HST|
|Station view from the footbridge|
|New platforms, the temporary ticket office can be seen on the right|