Seaforth & Litherland (SFL)

Seaforth & Litherland is on Merseyrail's Northern Line and is to the North of Liverpool city centre.
Information
Type: National Rail
(Merseyrail Northern Line)
Station code: SFL
Opened: 1850
Platforms: 2

The station was opened as Seaforth in 1850 by the Liverpool, Crosby & Southport Railway as the railway extended its line South to Sandhills. The station was renamed Seaforth & Litherland in 1905.

The station was also the Northern terminus of the Liverpool Overhead Railway which extended to Seaforth Sands in 1905 [1]. The railway later having a carriage shed and workshop adjacent to the station [2]. The LOR line was closed in 1956.

The station today has 2 platforms either side of an island. Access to the platforms is via a covered walkway from the street.
Merseyrail 508 126 arrives with a Southbound service

Carpark station sign 
Covered walkway up to the ticket office and platforms

Station entrance

Platform sign

Merseyrail 507 021 departs for Southport

[1] Martin Jenkins & Charles Roberts, Merseyside Transport Recalled (Ian Allan, 2014) p. 20
[2] Jonathan Cadwallader & Martin Jenkins, Merseyside Electrics (Ian Allan, 2010) p. 12