Highley

Highley is one of the stations on the Severn Valley Railway and is now home to the Engine House museum (see below for more details).

Information
Type: Preserved Railway
(Severn Valley Railway)
Opened: 1862 (Closed 1963)
Re-Opened: 1974
Platforms: 1
The station was opened in 1862 next to the river Severn and was an important hub for colliery traffic with four coal mines being nearby. The station is about a mile from the village of Highley however and passenger traffic was low and became unsustainable in competition with motor buses. The station was closed to passenger traffic in 1963 though coal traffic continued until 1969 when the final mine was closed.

The station was re-opened as part of the Severn Valley Railway in 1974. The station has only a single platform but has a number of storage sidings for engineering stock. Much of the station was untouched after closure apart from the footbridge which was demolished, however the SVR built a new footbridge to accompany the opening of the Engine House.
43106 arrives with a South bound service

A variety of GWR goods stock on show at Highley

View from the footbridge 
Highley signal box

View towards the Engine House (on the right)

The Engine House

The Engine House is a visitor centre and museum for the SVR's reserve fleet of locomotives and certain special items of rolling stock. The facility opened in 2008 and includes locomotives now out of service. A royal coach and a Post Office sorting coach are also on display.
Locomotive variety in the Engine House