(West Coast Main Line)
The station was opened as Wigan in 1838 by the North Union Railway, this station replaced an earlier station located elsewhere in the town which opened in 1832. The station was renamed Wigan North Western in 1924 due to the London & North Western Railway once operating it (though by then the LNWR no longer existed!) Another station in the town is Wigan Westgate which is about 100m away and opened later.
The station was completely rebuilt in the early 1970s along with the electrification of this stretch of the WCML (electric services through the station began in 1973).
The station has six platforms, two are bays which are only used for peak time services to Manchester. The other four platforms are located either side of two islands, two platforms are used for WCML services and the other two for mainly local services. Access between the two islands and the booking office/exit is via a subway. The station is served by Virgin Trains (who manage the station), Northern and Trans Pennine Express.
|Northern 319 386 pauses on a local service on the Liverpool-Preston line|
|The WCML platforms|
|Station buildings largely date from the 1970s|
|Bay platform buffer stops|
|A Northern 319 waits to depart|
|TPE 350 405 and 401 arrive at the station|