The first station at Water Orton was built by the Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway in 1842. It was replaced by the current station built by the Midland Railway in 1909 after the junction of the line to Kingsbury was resited to allow for higher line speeds. The new station was built further away from the junction .
The station was built as a single island platform with the station building on a road bridge which crossed the railway lines. A goods yard used to be located next to the station but it was closed in 1966 .
Although the station is managed by West Midlands Trains only Cross Country services stop there, usually a two-hourly train between Birmingham New Street and Leicester though there is also one train a day to and from Derby. There is no Sunday service.
|Two Cross Country trains pass just North of the station|
|Side of the station building, seen better days|
|Stairway down to the platforms|
|View down the platforms|
 Vic Mitchell, North of Birmingham (Middleton Press, 2014) p. 29
 Vic Mitchell, Birmingham to Tamworth and Nuneaton (Middleton Press, 2014) p. 45