(Merseyrail Wirral Line)
The station was opened in 1862 by the Chester & Birkenhead Railway replacing an older station called Rock Lane. Rock Ferry became part of the expanding Mersey Railway network in 1891  and was their Southern terminus and interchange with services coming up from the South.
In the 1980s the Merseyrail electric network was extended South to Hooton  and finally through to Chester and Ellesmere Port. Rock Ferry was changed to a through station. The former Merseyrail terminating platforms are now mostly used for stabling stock with only a handful of services using the platforms, everything else using the two through platforms.
|Merseyrail 508 115 on a South bound service|
|Merseyrail 508 123 arrives at Rock Ferry|
|Merseyrail 508 128 arrives heading North|
 Jonathan Cadwallader & Martin Jenkins, Merseyside Electrics (Ian Allan, 2010) p. 78
 John Glover, BR Diary 1978-1985 (Ian Allan, 1985) p. 118
 Cadwallader & Jenkins p. 78