Monday, 9 October 2017

Darlington (DAR)

Darlington is one of the birthplaces of the modern powered railway due to the pioneer Stockton & Darlington Railway which passed through the site now occupied by Darlington station in 1829.

Information
Type: National Rail
(East Coast Main Line &
Tees Valley Line)
Station code: DAR
Opened: 1841
Platforms: 4
Darlington, also known as Darlington Bank Top, was opened as the terminus of the Great North of England Railway in 1841, with the line continuing North to Tyneside in 1844. The original building (intended as "temporary") was replaced after 15 years in 1859 in the North Eastern Railway (who operated the line by then) style. A few years later the Stockton & Darlington and North Eastern Railways merged, Darlington Bank Top took over S&D services from Darlington North Road.

The current station buildings date from another rebuilding which opened in 1887 and included a three span roof and new interchange lines. The station became a busy interchange station due to its links to the likes of Richmond, Bishop Auckland and Saltburn.

Darlington is a stop on the East Coast Main Line served by Virgin East Coast and also hosts services by Northern, Trans Pennine Express and Cross Country. The station has two through roads and two South facing bay platforms. There were once also bays to the North but these closed in the 1960s.
South facing bay platforms, usually occupied by Pacers

View of the roofs from down the platform

Virgin 91 121 propels a North bound ECML express through the station 
Looking Southwards