Saturday, 23 September 2017

Matlock (MAT)

Matlock is now the terminus of the Derwent Valley Line though the station used to be an intermediate stop the Midland Railway's line to Manchester but National Rail only goes as far as Matlock now. The Peak Rail preserved railway continues up the line as far as Rowsley South.

Information
Type: National Rail (Derwent Valley Line)
& Preserved Railway (Peak Rail)
Station code: MAT
Opened: 1849
Platforms: 2
The station was opened, originally called Matlock Bridge, by the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock & Midlands Junction Railway in 1849, the current station buildings dating from 1850 remain though most are not used by Network Rail anymore (the main station building is now an excellent railway bookshop run on behalf of Peak Rail).

The former Station Master's house is a Grade II listed building. The line North of Matlock was closed in 1968. Peak Rail began reopening part of the closed line in 1991 and in 2011 returned to Matlock itself.


National Rail use Platform 1 (where the main buildings are) and Peak Rail use Platform 2. Interchange between the 2 platforms requires going via a bridge and an access route to an adjacent supermarket. East Midland Trains run services from Matlock to Nottingham and Newark Castle via Derby.
A pair of EMT Class 153s approach

Main station building

A Peak Rail steam locomotive on the preserved platform

Class 14 about to depart for Rowsley South

Shelter on the Peak Rail platform

EMT 158 852 stands at the NR platform