|Type:||National Rail (Derwent Valley Line)|
Originally opened in 1840 by the North Midland Railway, the station was moved a couple of times, in 1863 and 1876. This last move included a major rebuilding and Ambergate became one of only a small number of triangular stations in the country with platforms serving the Midland Main and Derwent Valley Lines and a short link between them.
Once a busy and important junction, the station declined in importance in the 1960s and 1970s with the cessation of stopping services along the Midland Main Line and the closure of these platforms. Now only a platform on the Derwent Valley Line remains. The station was listed for total closure by Beeching but has survived in this reduced state.
Nowadays Ambergate is a basic unmanned station with a bus shelter and a ticket machine. Ambergate is currently served by East Midland Trains services between Matlock and Nottingham or Newark Castle via Derby.
|EMT 153 302 arrives at the station|
|Looking down towards Ambergate junction|
|An EMT Class 156 passes now a disused part of the platform|