|Type:||National Rail (Cambrian Line) &
Preserved Railway (Vale of
The station was built in 1864 by the Aberystwyth & Welsh Coast Railway but the main station building dates from a major rebuilding by the GWR in 1925. Nowadays much of this has been repurposed as the station has been downsized and parts have become a pub and a restaurant among other uses.
The station once had 5 platforms but only 2 remain now. One platform is used by the Vale of Rheidol Railway. The original terminus of the VoR was further away at Smithfield Road  but it moved next to the mainline station in 1925. Finally the VoR took over a platform which had been used by trains to Carmarthen until their withdrawal in the 1960s.
Nowadays there is a regular service from the mainline station to Shrewsbury, with a good number of the trains continuing as far as Birmingham International. The Vale of Rheidol runs services up to Devil's Bridge (in its early days the railway was known as the "Devil's Bridge Railway") through much of the year.
|ATW 158 836 arrives|
|View down the platform|
|Vale of Rheidol platform|
|Mainline station viewed from the Vale of Rheidol one|
 Peter Johnson, Welsh Narrow Gauge (Ian Allan, 2000) p. 58
 Vic Mitchell, Corris and Vale of Rheidol (Middleton Press, 2009) p. 61