|Type:||National Rail (Island Line)|
Originally the line continued past Shanklin down to Wroxall and Ventnor but these stations were closed in the late 1960s largely due to the extra cost of electrification to these stations as an extra sub-station would have needed to have been built . Shanklin once had 2 platforms but only 1 is used now (the other platform has been turned into a flower garden) but there still remains a ticket office and a shop and the station building is Grade II listed. Two trains an hour leave Shanklin for Ryde.
|A view of the main building|
|483 007 at Shanklin|
 R.J. Maycock & R. Silsbury, The Isle of Wight Railways From 1923 Onwards (Oakwood Press, 2006), p. 227